Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas... and

Christmas is a special time of year. For our family it includes presents, friends, gatherings, family and attending services. We attend services at our own church throughout the year but this year we attend services at a friends church because we were invited. And today we will attend services with my mom at my childhood church. Very different services. One very contemporary... video, song, dance, praise team. One traditional. Organ, communion, reflective. Is one service better than the other? no just different.

I am trying to be more open in my thinking. Inclusive, outreaching, reflective, quiet, attentive, less words spoken . I always feel that I need to talk, respond to something that I am told. A confirmation story, advice or just plainly my point of view.

Often people pick a word for the year. Today it came to me that if my intention is to do the above I need a word to match.  The words that come is "be still..." Not be still and do nothing but more of a be still so that you can process information and be open to others.

So for this up coming year of 2014 I am going to try to "be still...." 

Be still so that I can...


  • Learn to listen without making quick decisions
  • Learn to not give advice so quickly
  • Learn to not jump in to "solve" a problem
  • Slow down and enjoy what I am involved in
  • Allow myself to create
  • Allow myself to take care of me physically,mentally and spiritually
I am sure that "be still..." will evolve. 

During the ice storm on Sunday morning. I took time to go outside and take some pictures. It was very quiet with not as much activities going on. A "snow day" for  most. Besides the sound of ice cracking and the delight of a happy dog playing while we walked and enjoyed the moment. 

Here are a couple of pictures that I took that showed the ice on the vineyards near by... beautiful but potentially harmful to the plant. 


and one of one happy dog... 


Wishing anyone reading the peace that passes all understanding, 

for 2014 and beyond. 

Jo

1 comment:

elle said...

Sounds great! Blessings to you and your family!