Friday, January 1, 2016

Expectations... and new word theme of the year

Happy New Years Great Expectations

The first day of the New Year always brings reflection and a new start.

I fell behind with my trying to blog daily. Just to hard to keep up with the family, celebrations and work.

Last night a good friend asked me if I had any New Years Resolutions. I am not good at keeping Resolutions. I start out plan a ton and then fall down in the execution.

So I replied to him... "Lower Expectations"

I am a dreamer, planner, wisher of things can change and care giver.  This puts a ton of pressure on myself and those around me.

Does this mean I am to lower my standards? Or to change who I basically am? I don't think I can do that but my flip comment to my friend has been running through my mind in the last 13 hours (minus the time I was fast asleep)

What could lowered expectations mean? Stop being so hard on myself. Stop being afraid to fail. Stop worrying about other people and what they do. Sounds like a tall order but maybe I can incorporate it into small ways like guard my time. Focus on what really matters to me my immediate family, my good friends, my love of all things fibre and creating what I love.

Does this make sense?

I know this but do I do this? I think it is time to pull out some paper. Make a mind map and prep some things so I can start and not dream.

This November I created a piece that I think was my best work to date. Putting myself out there and entering it into a call for entry. Friends loved it. Hubby loved it. I loved it. It did not get juried in. Traditionally I would tell my self that it was not good enough but this time I don't feel that way. Honestly I think it did not meet what the juror was looking for or fit the exhibit. This is a huge step for me. Not beating myself up!
Peach blossoms on 15 Mile Creek detail


So as this year processes I hope to see a progression in me to a kinder less self critical person and enjoy the journey of lowered expectations.


Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Jo

No comments: